Count It ALL Joy
I’ve been learning a lot this week about how to be thankful for the hard times. People in general don’t like going through something hard. We don’t ask for it. We don’t advertise it on Facebook wanting more of it. It just comes with life.
This week I was reminded of a time in my life when I felt like everything was falling apart. My Daddy texted me this scripture James 1:2-5. “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trails of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God.”
It’s been three years since He has sent that to me and as I look back I realize that my Daddy was right. We have to count it ALL joy. The good. The bad. The beautiful. The ugly. Through it ALL this is what you become. You become broken. You become humble. You become teachable and pliable. You become understanding. You become observant. You become strong.
If we didn’t have the hard times, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy the good times. If we didn’t have the hard times, we wouldn’t be able to know what we are made of. If we didn’t have the hard times, then all we would do is rely on our own strength and not the Lord’s.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
9. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
3. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;
4. and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
5. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
This is what it means to count it all joy to me. Through the hard times His strength is made perfect in my weakness. I’m not a Christian who has it all together. There are some days where I “just lose it” but I know Who does hold me together through every joy and every trial. I can stand here today thanking God for the hard times for I have seen Him move time and time again.